Friday, November 17, 2006

Faking your first step into a much larger world.

Entertainment Weekly recently ran a story about a reader who had never seen the Star Wars saga before. They describe his account as "hilarious," and then the first picture is captioned, "All his friends warned him about Jar Jar."

The story loses any credibility for me right there. I realize instantly that this Star Wars virgin either was told what to expect by his friends, or he looked it up on the Internet beforehand, or--and this is the worst possibility--he thinks he invented his issues with the movies.

I rarely read Entertainment Weekly, and this article is a good indication of why.

Any person with access to Google can look up what the loudest critics of the Star Wars prequels had to say, and repeat them as they've been repeated here--the sanctimonious outcry against Luke and Leia kissing has been done to death in the archives of rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc, and everywhere else Star Wars geeks with little sense of humor congregate. But that someone got paid for this story is really tragic. Virgins going straight into prostitution, what is this world coming to?

The guy who came up with the idea for the story in the first place misspelled womprat, which is a good indication of what we're dealing with here. What are we dealing with anyway? I've read the article twice and came away both times with nothing more than a sense that someone was hired to poke fun at The Phantom Menace. In the end, Morrison liked the movies overall, which is always good. I won't be an idiot towards him, because we're on the same side. I would have liked to read more about what he thought of the other five movies, but then, maybe I already know.

Before I'm accused (again) of being a Lucas apologist, I would just like to point out that I do have a very big problem with one of the movies. Why was Duel of the Fates playing as Anakin asked a Jawa for directions?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: