Saturday, May 24, 2008

The May That Got Away.

I've been busy, and by "busy" I mean I have taken on more work than I am capable of doing in the amount of time given to me in this lifespan. Otherwise it would not have been noticable in real time. There wouldn't have been the blog equivalent of dead air for a few weeks and then a post explosion. These posts are dated where they ought to be, at least, and so this blog has a better sense of the passage of time than its author, who is doing the work of a 14-year-old, a thirty-somethingth-year-old, and a 78-year-old man.

I did get to see Kristi Yamaguchi win Dancing With The Stars, though, and my boy David Cook won Idol the next night. It made me happy, but next week, when those shows aren't on, I will get morose. But then So You Think You Can Dance started, and that's the new shiny thing I will watch while I work now. While listening to David Cook, because his voice makes me happy. Hey, it's the first year my entire family wanted the same person to win, Wednesday was like a billion parties in my head.

Then I had to work. And wash my car. And do some shopping. And mowing. My right shoulder has been on strike since the 3rd...of January, I think. It's a good thing I have another arm.

Which reminds me, a few weeks back, Nan found Fur: An Imaginary Portrait Of Diane Arbus, which was...interesting...in a Twin Peaks kind of way, and some Casper Van Dien movie about terror on a boat. I rather preferred the Fur one, even though stuff blew up in the boat one. Had there been really hairy wigmakers and women who held feather dusters with their feet on the boat, I think a blockbuster would have emerged.

Speaking of blockbuster...Indy IV. Didn't see it yet. But I am not so far gone that I am not aware Jones has returned. Somehow not seeing a movie can also be a big event in my week.

At some point late Friday...early Saturday...somewhere in the fog of what happens to me after being exposed to sunlight and the demands of being a human with skills, I noticed Nan left on the Hugh Grant/Dennis Quaid movie American Dreamz. It's a dark comedy about a musical reality show. Part of the finale involves the song My Way, and I sat there flabbergasted, as it reminded me of something I did, a year before the movie came out. I checked, it was a year before. Great minds think alike, I guess? Is the song so obvious a choice?

This led to me disabling LeechBlock to hit Google as the sun rose behind me so I could see just how common my weird thoughts really are. At least I can console myself with the knowledge that my Galactic Idol came before Ned Beui's, and this Galactic Idol idea, and this really neat animated version. I wonder if maybe, years down the line, someone will Google me. Hmm.

I just feel like now I should add disclaimers to my comic, that my Darth Vader was singing the Sid Vicious version, and American Dreamz wasn't that great of a movie, so don't be thinking that's where I got my idea for Vader's big number. I never saw the movie until tonight. Things like that worry me about all the things I plan to do. Has someone else already done it, either better or more widely known, and I just don't know? I am losing and not even snoozing. Alas.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: