Saturday, January 24, 2009

Songs of My Misspent Youth: Tainted Love

Last week Wiggy mentioned Tainted Love, one of the greatest songs ever and it's been back in my head ever since--like it's ever out of my head.

It was one of those songs I'd eh...perform...as a child, to start with. Oh, I had a whole video worked out in my head, especially for the extended single that included Where Did Our Love Go? and the idea of my godawful singing is a way less harmless memory than the Ice Road Trucker-like driving around in GTA trying to keep a stolen tanker from rolling down a mountain as the Gloria Jones version of the song played. The Marilyn Manson remake made me sad and the times kids would go nuts over S.O.S. by Rihanna without knowing anything about Soft Cell made me feel old.

And then there was the time I saw the original Soft Cell video for the first time....



For me, it added a whole new dimension of fun. Or something. Like the time I fell asleep watching I, Claudius after reading the encyclopedia entry about Cricket rules and woke up with a jelly apple stuck in my hair. There was a second video that I guess was meant to be less disturbing to some viewers, but it's like Marc Almond's head is in the fridge of a guy who gets molested by outer space and it reminds me of that shaving gel commercial from around the same time. Has anyone ever been abducted by shaving gel in reality? Really?

I love me some Soft Cell, though, and even bought Marc Almond's solo album with Tears Run Rings on it after it became another WLIR Shreeek of the Week. It bummed me out to read on one of my late-night Wikipedia expeditions that because Tainted Love was a remake, and the B-side was also a remake, they hardly made any money off the greatest freakin' song of the '80s.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: