Saturday, July 25, 2009

Songs of My Misspent Youth: Walking Down Madison

To encompass both my wild activist youth and a potential future I've spent too much thought on, I have chosen Walking Down Madison by the late, great Kirsty MacColl to be this week's song of my misspent youth.

The date figures into it, of course. It was the WDRE Shreeek of the Week during this week way back in a year I was so frikkin' glad to get home I didn't leave the house again for weeks. Mainly because I was sick, but that's beside the point. I've wasted a lot of time freaking out about losing my house, like I can do anything more than I've always done about it.

But it may be that knowledge that I could be homeless in an instant that makes me see the people who are already living that life. We've got a local man who comes around with a wagon and collects cans. We used to take them back to the store for the deposits but honestly he can use it more. There's another dude who sits inside the liquor store some days during the winter. I say hi to him. He hasn't killed me yet.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: