Saturday, February 28, 2009

Songs of My Misspent Youth: Suburbia

This so-called misspent youth of mine seems to dwell in 1987 quite a bit. Is it because that was the year I misspent the most? Hell no, it's because the music kicked ass! In early 1987, I listened to two radio stations more than any others: WLIR and WQHT. Back then QHT hadn't insulted any dead people and was called Hot 103, which looks very awkward so long after the flip where QHT became Hot 97 and the country station of the day moved up the dial to take over that frequency, but before that bizzare day were the days when one song dominated both of my favorite stations. Suburbia by Pet Shop Boys.

Oh, how I love Pet Shop Boys. They had the coolest glasses and I loved the whole brooding straight-faced no dancing around thing. Aside from just enjoying the hell out of their music, listening to their songs inspired all sorts of stories that I'm not going to get into now, but everyone was some variation of ass-kicking spy and I miss those days when I didn't bother fact-checking my fiction, I just wrote and wrote and it didn't matter if all my characters were around the same age and everyone ended up related, because when the 12" single of this song (Or Opportunities, or--pfft, anything they ever did) came on, all was right in the land of chaos. I guess you had to be there.




Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: