Saturday, February 16, 2008

Record Consistency.

Another week, another review. It's good I come back and add to these as things happen because I did not remember that this week was this week. No, for realsies! I still can't talk, and I'm likening it to the feeling you get when you get a cracked straw and you're still trying to use it to drink...say...a milkshake. No, I'm sorry, I'm not going there until I've seen There Will Be Blood. The whole thing, not just fan spoofs involving the Kelis song, which all seem to be gone from YouTube. *sigh*

Last weekend we decided to watch a comedy, because, you know, we needed one. Jackie Chan is one of my secret boyfriends, so we watched Rush Hour 3. When it ended, Shanghai Knights was on TV. OMG! It was like a party! Imagine the next night when Shanghai Noon was on. Holy high-flying action man.

I continued to lose a lot of time to the thing I've picked up. I don't think it's flu, because my mother managed to catch that, and there's another post outlining my feelings on healthcare around here somewhere, so I'll skip to the next movie.

During the week, Nan found The Man Who Fell To Earth, with David Bowie. I'd always wanted to see that. I...I've seen it. I wouldn't mind playing table tennis with an alien if he was David Bowie. Although I wouldn't be too happy if he shot me. It was a good movie if you love David Bowie. It was a sad movie if you've ever had to wait a really long time for fresh water.

One night while I was adding another 1,000 or so words to my epic novel, Nan put on a movie she'd already seen called Camilla. It's Jessica Tandy and Bridget Fonda, a violin, and frikkin' fabulous. I wasn't in the mood to see a movie, either, which just makes it even more amazing that it could pry my brain out of the back of my skull.

But the highlights of my week are not all movies, no. There's also music! I just discovered Deacon Blue. At least, I think I did. I may have back in the late-'80s when I used to listen to Rock Over London, but without constantly listening to them over and over it didn't stick. I've been putting that right by listening to Our Town over and over this week. As a kid, I always had the feeling that if I were born on the other side of the pond I would be very happy with the music, and Deacon Blue is reminding me of that feeling.

Other than that we had a few days of sun and I was able to get the guys out, and just now we stood out in the yard looking for the out of control satellite that was scheduled to fly over around 6:30 local time. I didn't see it. I'll try again tomorrow. Our government is planning to shoot the thing down once the space shuttle is out of the way, because the fuel on the satellite is hazardous. Should I be standing out in my backyard trying to see this thing? I don't know. Should I feel as left out as I do that I didn't get to see it tonight? Maybe not.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

V said...

I just watched The Killers "Don't Shoot Me Santa" on your recommendation. The whole thing was great, but when I choked was at that part where he goes "woo!" in that redonkulous Xmas sweater and just kind of looks to the side.

Deacon Blue is greatness.

BrideOfPorkins said...

HAHA, yeah, I love that part!

"Woo!"