Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reading The News Shouldn't Be This Intense

When you heard that Newsgator was ending their free online RSS reading service, did you imagine a raspy hiss of a scream off in the distance? Because to be honest all I really did was just rub my aching forehead and export my OPML file.

Then I started to write this post. This is how I felt a week ago:

I can't take to Google Reader. I tried, I even have a copy of my feeds in Google Reader that I open and mark as read every weekend because I take one look at it and wince.

But now that's what Newsgator is telling their users to use.

An offline reader is out because I go back and forth between computers. While I could probably set one up the way I did Agent, the usenet reader, but I don't want to.

I thought I'd give BlogLines a try, and maybe if you've been reading this blog a long time you're thinking, "But...you did...."

I found I had a BlogLines account!

With 25,976 unread items.

I deleted everything and imported my database again, then marked the 33000+ items in there as read. I figure I'll clean out Newsgator and then pick up on Bloglines. Sure. I'll have that done in a month. Definitely.

(Betting on how soon I'll forget this starts now. I'm in the 1-2 days pool.)

9 days after I wrote all that, you know what?

I LOVE GOOGLE READER! :D

I don't know if they changed it or I just sucked it up and got on with it, as I'm doing these days--making myself do stuff even if it makes me wince and retch and flail around and go numb. Not that Google Reader has done any of that yet. Therefore Google Reader is better than Life 3.5!

But I guess you knew that already.

There are 3113 unread items in Bloglines because I'm not using it, I'm using Google Reader, which has no unread items, because I frikkin' love it!
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Google Reader too. I also like it on my new iPod Touch. I must be the shiz. Ooh, I said a hip word. I must rest now.

BrideOfPorkins said...

Watch the hip, Wiggy!

Yeah, I had signed up for Google Reader when you suggested it to me waaaay back when, you are indeed the whiz shiz.