Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Recapturing my lost youth.

Wow.Those little ear buds have nothing on a good old pair of stereo headphones, the kind you get free with a radio or CD player.

From Christmas of 1983 until the wires cracked in the first pair of headphones I had, I knew nothing of my surroundings. I was sharing my room with Hall & Oates, Eurythmics, John Williams, Olivia Newton-John, people like that. And Taco. I can't forget Taco.

Of course, that generally is better received when one is 9 and not 29. So recently, what I've got hooked to my computer is a little monaural ear bud that only goes in one ear. It does its job, but up until a few minutes ago I had never heard Scissor Sisters in full stereo. Except for those two times they were on the radio, but that doesn't count because the first time I never realized what a great song I was listening to until it was a few seconds into it, and the second time I had static from where I was standing.

I would like to say I'll be using my full-bass headphone from now on, but you know I need to know if things like dinner or fires or phone calls are going on. It was nice, though.

Does anyone else like the smell of fresh foam headphone covers? I...uh...I would lick these, but they weren't originally mine and I'm not sure where they've been, and they're about ten years old. So the pica needs to wait until another time.

I feel like a kid again.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

manny hernandez said...

I remember the smell of the headphones in my first Walkman, "back in the day"... Girl: you threw me off for a nostalgia loop! :)

BrideOfPorkins said...

HAHA, glad to bring back a good memory!