Sunday, July 01, 2007

Well, you know..."Manos."

I recently got it into my head to go off in search of the inspiration for my favorite screensaver, Torgo saves the screen (PC version Mac version). I knew it was some movie featured on MST3K, but considering I was a deprived of whatever station MST3K was on, I never saw the fateful episode that featured Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I decided that like Rocky Horror, the trailer for The Phantom Menace, and Greek mythology, I was going to experience this thing alone in my room and set off to find the movie. Luckily, everyone else is exactly like me and I had a crappy copy with Spanish subtitles downloaded within an hour.

I will most likely eventually buy this movie. I think...I think I fell in love with Torgo all over again. After 14 years of him saving my screen, there he was, in full color, twitching and debating whether or not the master would approve of a child and a poodle. I was sad to learn that John Reynolds died not long after making the movie, because I would have watched him in anything.

Ah Torgo, forgetting you is a thing I cannot do.

I found the MS3TK episode a few days later, and I'm convinced that I could very easily have enjoyed that show when it was on. I mean, what was I doing for Thanksgiving, 1991 but getting out of bed every 43 minutes to change the tape on the first WLIR Shreeek-End and sneezing a lot all over my family? I wouldn't have even bothered going back to bed if we had Comedy Central back then. I guess it's probably just as well we didn't have Comedy Central. I was really wiped out after that Shreeek-End. It was like some kind of sick sleep deprivation game, and everyone lost.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: